A Simple Thank You.


thank you for jumping into my world. read. share. live mindfully. laugh often. seek balance. choose happiness. love life. -- XOX ♥ msamarse

9.22.2010

Seasons of Love ♥

Lately I’ve been seeing (and hearing) a lot of talk about “bunnin season” – which essentially means when the winter season approaches and people start deciding they want to be cuddled up with someone in the house and spend time with one person on a consistent basis. Whereas, during spring/the coming of summer and warm weather it’s time to drop that “main boo” and talk to whoever/date around. I know that for the most part it’s all in jokes and fun but some people really do this and feel like it is unacceptable to be consistent based on the change of a season. But in reality… if you have serious feelings for someone, real love and/or feelings don’t change when the seasons change.

Yesterday I was reading an article on Necole Bitchie’s blog, by Dr. J (who has written multiple articles on her site on the topic of Love and Relationships) entitled “When is the right time to say I Love You” – so one of his comments from the article was:

Me personally, I believe you should at LEAST wait two seasons.  (There’s tons of research and analysis done on the power of the seasons and their relation to relationships.)  If we meet in the Spring, I don’t expect to hear you love me until Thanksgiving.”

Hmm. The verdict is still out on how many people agree with this. But, I’m going to break down my opinion on love and timing. When it comes to feelings and love, I believe it’s all about FEELING, not necessarily timing. When I say “feeling” I mean in terms of how YOU feel about the other person, how THEY feel about you and how you all feel about YOUR relationship. There are some people that consider themselves in a relationship with someone they have been with for a year but haven’t seen but once a month for that year. Others have been with someone for 3 months but have spent every waking moment with that person for the past 3 months. In either relationship, someone could consider the feeling of love towards the other person. I think the problem is too many people try to play the “timing game” and think about relationships and love in terms of how long they’ve known the person and when is “the right time” for certain things. Love doesn’t automatically show up in 3 months or a year… it shows up when the feelings appear. When things get too technical like that, that’s when it becomes unnatural and you step in the way of your feelings. Whether you like a person or not, the feelings are clear, even when it comes to friends and enemies. And I believe that when you have strong feelings for someone it’s inevitable, try fighting it all you want. Now everyone has different definitions of love. Me, I don’t try to define it because I think that it honestly can’t be explained. It’s just something you know. Based on your communication with that person, you alls interactions, the way you FEEL when they are around you… etc.

I also do not believe that it takes at least 2 seasons to love someone. Not saying that you shouldn’t wait a while to MAKE SURE it’s love and not lust… that definitely is important but I just don’t think you should limit it by saying, “Oh well, we’ve only been dating for 4 months, so I can’t say it yet.” I believe it should be based on the situations you all go through, the reactions to those situations and the relationship you all have built together and the way it feels. Go with instinct, if you don’t think it’s love… it’s probably not. Now this whole “bunnin season” thing… LOL is all I can say if you truly do that. Be consistent year round, not just when winter hits.

No comments:

Post a Comment