A Simple Thank You.


thank you for jumping into my world. read. share. live mindfully. laugh often. seek balance. choose happiness. love life. -- XOX ♥ msamarse

9.15.2010

Traditions Lost?

In today’s society, many of the traditions, morals and values that our parents were taught from their parents and grandparents have been lost along the way before reaching many of the young people in our generation. Unfortunately - between the babies raising babies & the media filling our head with so much junk, telling us how we should live our lives, we’ve gotten pretty lost in the mix… (in my opinion).

I’m an old-fashioned type of girl… maybe a little too old fashioned at times. But I believe what I believe and think that part of the reason that people think chivalry is lost, gone or dead is because people either haven’t learned it OR because we have dismissed the basis of traditions our parents and grandparents were raised on. I understand that some things have to change over time – given the way technology is now; we’ve had to adjust to things accordingly. But, I think some things are just important because they help keep families and marriages together. This brings me to a recent twitter poll I did based on one done by the @Kaneshow (local radio station if you’re not familiar). The question asked to their listeners was – Should men still have to ask for permission or approval from the father of the woman before they propose and ask for her "hand in marriage".

My twitter poll produced mixed results – slightly different from the outcome I predicted. Half of the males that answered said yes, it is important to ask for approval from the father before proposing. About 75% of the females that responded said yes as well (which I figured would be 100%). Many of the responses were that the man should not have to ask for “permission” but maybe approval or simply just give the father a “heads up” that he’s going to propose soon. Others gave responses such as “its not up to the family or father just between the two people you’re not marrying the family” (via @thegenius215) and “not for PERMISSION, but maybe advice or for opinions... he should only be asking the gf parents for her hand in marriage” (via @adriboo1104).

My stance on it is YES. A few decades ago, almost everyone participated in this tradition -- whereas nowadays only 1 in 6 men ask the father for his daughter’s hand in marriage. Someone thought I was almost crazy because I actually value my family’s opinion on what type of man I am going to decide to spend the rest of my life with. This proves to me how much society has devalued marriage and its seriousness and also gives me indication on why people treat divorce just as common as marriage. I just think that not only are you marrying that person, but you are marrying their family as well. I want my family to be able to be around my man, enjoy his company, LIKE him and what he’s about – and vice versa. When you get married and take those vows, your family is a witness and they are also vowing on that day that they will do everything in their power to keep you all together and help you though any tough times. It’s a team effort.

I just think that we need to remember some of the traditions that were laid out early on and embrace/go back to them if we want our families and marriages to coincide. Just because it's 2010, doesn’t mean everything needs to change. I'm a daddy's girl & my family's approval is very important to me, so I know whoever I marry BETTER ask my dad for approval before proposing to me. No, really though... if you're reading this, just know! LOL.

:: A little dish to end your night. XOX <3

No comments:

Post a Comment